The call for participation for the conference “Through Local Eyes: Place-based approaches to emerging architectural, urban design and planning challenges in Africa and the Global South” is now open!
The conference will be held at the EiABC (Ethiopian Institute of Architecture, Building Construction and City Development), in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, from 29 to 31 October 2018.
Practitioners, policy makers, NGOs and scholars are invited to submit proposals for this conference.
We particularly appreciate contributions that are based on an empirical confrontation with reality and that aim to:
- singling out site-based local/urban practices and development strategies, emphasizing their adaptation/conformity/proximity to their specific geographic setting (rural, suburban, urban, metropolitan, etc.);
- challenging the assumptions of modernist and/or dominant architectural and planning theories and their use in situations radically different from those for which such theories were devised in the first place;
- testing and formulating new and unforeseen concepts, theories, research paradigms stemming from the specific ‘urbanities’ of Africa and the Global South.
We invite those interested to present original papers, posters, plenary sessions, training workshops and lightning presentations on these themes and related topics. The main working language at the conference will be English. Nevertheless, the submission of proposals in French will also be welcome.
The general theme of the conference, as well as the sub-themes, the preliminary program and the different formats of possible contributions are all available on the official conference website: https://www.conferenceaddis2018.org
- 15th January 2018: Submission of proposals.
- 17th February 2018: Feedback to paper authors and session proponents
- 15th April 2018: full-length original paper submission
- 29-31 October 2018: Conference in Addis Ababa
The conference is organised by the HABITER research center and BATir department of the Université libre de Bruxelles (Belgium), the ECIP research center of the EiABC (University of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia) and the Gemboux Agro-Bio Tech center at the Université de Liège (Belgium).
We are looking forward to seeing you in Addis Ababa in October 2018!
For any additional information, you can contact the organizing committee at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org, or via our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ConferenceAddis2018/